Obesity, Physical Activity and Nutrition: Weight of evidence

28 Apr 2021 - Alcohol & Tobacco

Almost 80 per cent of hospitalised COVID-19 patients in the US have been overweight or obese, according a US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study released last month. “The risks of hospitalisation, intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation and death are higher with increasing BMI,” the CDC says. “These findings highlight clinical and public health implications of higher BMIs, including the need for intensive management of COVID-19 associated illness, continued vaccine prioritisation and masking, and policies to support healthy behaviours,” the CDC says. The CDC’s latest update on the 569,000 Americans who have died from or with COVID-19 in the past 13 months points out that in only 5 per cent of cases was COVID-19 the only cause. The remaining 95 per cent had an average of four comorbidities. Some of these can’t be helped, such as cancer, dementia and chronic kidney disease, but some can: obesity, liver disease through alcohol abuse and lung damage through smoking.

The Australian; 28/04/2021; Page 11